Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Review: Bride of the Water God, Vol. 1 by Mi-Kyung Yun


Bride of the Water God, Vol. 1
By: Mi-Kyung Yun
184 pages
Buy from Amazon

This is the first volume in a Korean manga series that follows the life of Soah, a beautiful young girl, who is sacrificed by her village in the hopes of ending drought.  She is given to the Water God, Habaek, and must live in his kingdom of Suguk, but she is not prepared to be happy in this life and finds that she meets many wonderful beings in this magical land. 

I can't say much more about this without giving too much away.  As is custom in manga, there are many surprises in store for Soah.  Nothing is ever as it seems.  The artwork is rendered beautifully and the story is fresh and intriguing.  I am more familiar with Japanese manga, so after reading this, I will definitely be in search of more of the Korean variety.  The myth and folklore of Korea is also more unfamiliar to me and thus will provide me with an opportunity to explore more in that area as well.  If you pick up only one manga this year, let it be Bride of the Water God.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I just recently got sucked into manga with Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter Series... then of course I got lured to the dark side and have been investigating some erotic manga.

    But your review of this style entices me in yet another direction! Perhaps I am just easy. ;) As an artist I truly appreciate the shape an form of these stories.

    Miranda ~ Sweet Vernal Zephyr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and after reading I think I will need to check out this manhwa!

    ReplyDelete